Sunday 8 August 2010

Home Sweet Home

What adorable creations The Shabby Tea Room has inspired with their week #21 'House and Home' challenge. All those bird houses are just the tweetest things (sorry bad puns again!). I loved everything about the challenge image -the soft colours, the shabby but homely feel to it. Reminded me of everything a home should be comfortable, well used and relaxing.

House and Home is quite the theme for us at the moment as I prepare my adult Autistic son for moving on. He will be going to a residential college in September and is needing much reassurance that he will still come home for holidays and be able to do all the things he enjoys and have around him all his familiar things which make a place home.

He is horrified however about the prospect of 'new house' ...which is some years away yet but eventually he will have to move out of the family home and in to supported living. I will not live forever. Nor will our home continue to stand forever ...its in a pretty delapidated state already. If I pull at the wrong piece of string for cardmaking the whole house may fall down around our ears!

However, the 'House and Home' issues which inspired (if that's the right word) me this week were the ones around those with lack of a home due to the floods in Pakistan...

Here is the card I ended up making...


I made it using brown parcel paper and bits of brown envelope but the rest of the paper was shop bought. Its meant to be a tent. And I was a bit messy with the glue (I need to get something proper to stick stuff with and practise precision gluing!). But my thoughts are with people all over the world without a home.

You can read here about the UK's Disasters Emergency Committee and what they do and also donate to their appeals.

There is also an organisation called ShelterBox who have been supplying tents to those affected in Pakistan.

4 comments:

  1. Super {tweet}!! Thanks for sharing with us in the Tea Room this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty card - love the scallops at the edge! Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet card! You are so kind to be thinking of those poor people in Pakistan who have lost their homes. your parcel paper tent is very creative and I really like the clouds and sentiment, too. Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww what a sweet card, I love the torn paper look! Thanks for playing along this week in the Tea Room!

    ReplyDelete