Sunday 8 August 2010

Shabby Effort

I've haven't been cardmaking long and I'm not sure I can claim the honourable distinction of cardmaking yet ...am more at the experimenting with cardmaking stage. I hope to go on to be a fully fledged (just for the fun of it) cardmaker. Though with heavy caring responsibilities I'm not sure I'll find enough time to devote to this enjoyable pursuit.

Being at the just starting out stage I find all the challenges a very useful tool to focus ones endeavours.

Over at Moxie Fab World one of their challenges was to make a project based on one of five card styles ...you can read and see all about it here. In particular I am loving the shabby chic and vintage style cards and projects. I didn't participate myself but what delicious inspiration!

So I had a go at doing a bit of shabby (without the chic)/vintage.

I used the colours from the colour challenge set by Kaboodle Doodles - purple, red, green and cream.

While I love the colour combination of lilac and pale green it was a tough challenge to incorporate the whole set of colours.

Anyway here's what I came up with ....my shabby effort...



The lilac buttons were from my mothers very old button tin. The button tin is one I remember from being a child some decades ago! Its always been there as long as I can remember and contains very old buttons which are cracked with age and in no need of any treatment to age them ...to really awful 1970s buttons ...to more recent ones purchased for the items mother has knitted for my children (now both grown up). So quite a lot of history and it felt quite wrong raiding such a sacred object.

The purple flowers were from the sweepings of a local home furnishings store ...I asked if I could have them ...they had fallen from their display of artificial flowers which they had been moving.

The red card was from the inside of an A4 document wallet. Everything around my house at the moment has holes cut out!

And the lush silk purple ribbon was off a box of chocolates I got some time ago and saved the ribbon. Knew it would come in handy!

I know I should list the rest of the ingredients ...such as the stamp I used for the word love on the heart ...but I don't have the packaging and can't remember whose it is :(

I will try to be more organised in future ...

A bit of a shabby effort really.

4 comments:

  1. A gorgeous card Anj and beautiful colours. I love the pretty little hearts along the bottom. They work well with the lace.
    Thank you for joining in with our Kaboodledoodles colour challenge this week.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have only been blogging for a short while and we have all been in your shoes. Your four cards are lovely so keep on posting as I would love to see more of your work. Why not add a followers list you will be surprised at how many followers you will pick up along the way.
    Good luck for the future.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lace and the ribbon is very lush! Thanks for playing at Kaboodledoodles this week and hope to see you next time. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are being way too hard on yourself! I think your card is beautiful! I love the vintage feel to it, and all of us crafters reuse old buttons, ribbons, etc... from unusual places!
    Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles, and look forward to seeing your work again next week!
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete